Old Protestant Cemetery, Penang
high-definition creative commons photographs from an old cemetery in Penang, Malaysia, which houses some famous graves from its early colonial days, together with some further information.
The first known burial at the Christian Cemetery took place in 1789. Captain Francis Light (d. 1794) was buried here and so were several early governers of colonial Penang. Phillip Dundas (d. 1807), William Petrie (d. 1816), and Colonel John Alexander Bannerman (d. 1819). The wall was built and the Anglican cemetery was consecrated around 1818. The cemetery was closed to further burials towards the end of the 19th century. It was restored by the Penang Heritage Trust in 1994.
Text from a signboard at the cemetery
Dec. 29th, 2009 - Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia
Photographs by Anandajoti Bhikkhu
About this Website
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License