Wat Na Phraname, Ayutthaya, Thailand
high-definition creative commons photographs from this temple in Ayutthaya, Thailand, which was not destroyed by the Burmese army, and which houses two famous Buddha Statues, together with some further information.
Wat Na Phramane
This Wat, also known as Wat Na Phramen, was built in Ramathibodi II's period around 1499AD, and was then named Wat Phra Merurachikaram. When Thailand was defeated by the Burmese army in 1569, this is where the peace treaty was signed in front of the Buddha image, the scriptures and the monks.
Much later in 1760, when King Alaungpaya of Burma again invaded Thailand, he used this temple to set up his cannon, and having insisted on firing the cannon himself he was mortally wounded when it blew up, and died during the subsequent retreat to Burma. When Burma finally managed to sack Ayutthaya seven years later this temple was the only one not destroyed.
The Ubosot houses a regal Buddha statue which is characteristic of King Prasat Thong's period (1629-56). The full name of the statue is Phra Buddhanimitwichitmara Molee Si Sanphet Boromma Trilokanat, and, as it escaped the sacking of the city, it is in very good condition. The symbolism points to the unity of the Buddha and the King.
In a side Vihan there is also a fine seated Buddha statue from the Dvarawati period, Phra Khandhararat, made from green sandstone, one of only a handful of such images in SE Asia (another seated image which is probably contemporary with this one, is found in the Ancient Mendut Temple near Borobudur).
text adapted from the signboards inside the grounds
Photographs by Anandajoti Bhikkhu
About this Website
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License