Wat Nivet Thamprawat, Ayutthaya Province, Thailand
high-definition creative commons photographs from this Buddhist temple in Amphoe Bang Pa-in, near Ayutthaya, Thailand, built by King Chulalongkorn in the style of a European Cathedral, together with some further information.
Wat Nivet Thamprawat
The wat was built by King Chulalongkorn in 1878 AD in the style of a Christian cathedral near to his palace in Amphoe Bang Pa-in, near Ayutthaya. It stands on an island in the Chao Phraya river, and the approach is via a cable car. The architecture is in Gothic style, and has some good stained glass windows. The main image, which sits on a Christian-style altar, is called Phra Puttha Naruemon Thammophat. The Buddha relics are housed in the combined belfry and clock tower, which therefore approximates to a stupa. There is a stucco relief of the King's Great Seal, and a stained glass window portrait of the King, with the words Chulaloncorn : Rex Siamensis (Chulalongkorn, King of the Siamese) written in Latin. The temple is still active, and when we were there there was extra security as the heir to the throne was due at the palace the following day.
text based on signboards inside the grounds
Photographs by Anandajoti Bhikkhu
About this Website
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License